Fat Politics and Sexuality in the Face of Hate:
A Forum on Rights You Didn't Know You Needed
May 20th, 7pm
McNally Jackson Booksellers
52 Prince St, NYC
Fat stigma is reaching a boiling point in American society. As Harriet Brown stated in her recent New York Times article: "Public attitudes about fat have never been more judgmental; stigmatizing fat people has become not just acceptable but, in some circles, de rigueur." This evening's panel is a chance to discuss this cultural climate and present recent work by five individuals from diverse segments of fat activism, from academia to the blogosphere. Above all, this forum seeks to provide a nuanced perspective of fat-related issues that departs from the media’s monotone coverage of "the obesity epidemic" and its perceived social pitfalls.
The panelists include:
- Substantia Jones founder and photographer of The Adipositivity Project
- Lesley Kinzel, blogger of fatshionista.com
- Kathleen LeBesco, PhD Professor of Communication Arts and Distinguished Chair, Marymount Manhattan College; contributor to The Fat Studies Reader
- Zoe Meleo-Erwin PhD candidate and NOLOSE board member
- Marilyn Wann author of FAT!SO? Because You Don't Have to Apologize for Your Size!